Settlement Services

Our Settlement Services help guide and support individuals and families as they make adjustments to life in Canada.

Whether you are new to Canada, or have been here for many years, VDICSS’ Settlement Workers are here to help you become an independent and contributing member of the community.

Our Settlement Program provides services to immigrants, refugees, and refugee claimants residing in the greater Vernon area. We provide the skills needed to participate in the community and share the knowledge of opportunities that promote civic participation.

We can help explain and access:​

  • dealing with isolation and culture shock

  • family issues

  • health & health care information

  • housing

  • education, upgrading, and training

  • Canadian law

  • income tax

  • child care and family concerns

  • social benefits

  • employment information

  • citizenship, immigration, and refugee protection

  • community skills and resources

  • human rights

To confirm you are eligible to receive our services, please complete the Intake Form. A Settlement Worker will contact you soon.

Settlement Worker in Schools (S.W.I.S.)

S.W.I.S. program provides settlement support to Newcomer families and students in cooperation with the school. Services include one-to-one settlement counselling, school orientation sessions, group information sessions, cultural and youth events. Activities help facilitate students to adjust into the British Columbian school system, the community, and life in Canada.

Information sessions are also available for school administrators and teachers to learn about the S.W.I.S. program and how it supports Newcomer students, their families, and school staff.

For helpful resources and links, on topic such as school registration, healthy lunches and more, visit our Resources page.