top of page


  • Who is eligible for your services?
    Permanent residents, naturalized Canadian citizens, those who are here through RNIP, refugees, people who have work permits or study permits, and Ukrainian temporary residents in Canada eligible under the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET). You must be currently living in the Vernon area to access our services.
  • Do I need to make an appointment?
    Yes. We can't guarantee that there will be someone available to meet with you unless you book an appointment, as our workers are often in appointments with other clients. Please contact us to book an appointment.
  • Will you help me or someone I know immigrate to Canada?
    We are not able to offer immigration advice or recruitment services. Having said that, a good place to start is to check out this Come to Canada wizard tool to help you determine your permanent residency or work permit eligibility. Vernon also participates in the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot. More on that program can be found here. If you feel like you still need guidance, you may want to consider hiring an immigration consultant.
  • I want to enroll in English language classes. How do I sign up?
    The first step to accessing our services, including Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC), is to go through the intake process with one of our settlement workers. Once you are a client, you will be able to access our services. Call or email to set up an appointment for a client intake.
  • Do you accept item donations such as clothing for newcomers?
    Unfortunately, due to size limitations we are not able to accept item donations. If you would like to donate items to newcomers from Ukraine, contact the Slavic United Network.
  • What languages are your staff able to communicate in?
    Our in-house languages include the following: English, French, Ukrainian, Russian, Hindi, German, Punjabi, Spanish, Arabic, Faroese, and Tagalog.
  • I'd like to volunteer. How do I get started?
    Please complete our online volunteer application. You can also visit our Get Involved page for more information.
  • Do you offer daycare/childminding services?
    Yes! We have a fully licensed daycare.
  • Can you help me get a job?
    We can assist you in your job search, career guidance, writing a resume/cover letter, skills workshops, and more.
  • Can you help register my child(ren) for school?
    Yes, our S.W.I.S. (Settlement Worker in Schools) program provides settlement support to newcomer families and students in cooperation with the school. Services include one-to-one settlement counselling, school orientation sessions, group information sessions, and cultural and youth events. Activities help facilitate students to adjust into the British Columbian school system, the community, and life in Canada.
  • Will you help me apply for RNIP?
    We are not able to help you apply for RNIP. Information about RNIP can be found here.

Plan, prepare, stay informed

Learn how to prepare yourself and your home in the event of a wildfire or evacuation.


Have a plan

Emergency situations can be extremely stressful and disorienting. However, a plan that is easy to follow will help your family find each other safely if you have to evacuate.

Create an emergency plan with your family and ensure it is easy to access at work or at home. Find out how to prepare for a wildfire.

Start with this fillable plan from Prepared BC.


Be prepared

Wildfires can be unpredictable. Especially if you live in an area prone to wildfire, you should be ready to leave immediately. Have a go-kit ready for every household member and a wildfire plan.

Follow this basic supply list to build your kits.

Increase the chance your home will survive a wildfire by minimizing flammable materials around your house. Learn how to FireSmart your home.


Stay informed

During an emergency, the situation can change quickly. Keep up-to-date on evacuation orders and alerts by following your local government, First Nation and emergency services. Save emergency numbers as contacts in your phone.

For information on the current wildfire situation across B.C., follow the BC Wildfire Service on Facebook and Twitter. Download the mobile wildfire application on your cell phone (available for Apple or Android devices).

Report a wildfire:
1 800 663-5555 or *5555 on a cell

Fire information line: 1 888 336-7378

Burn registration line: 1 888 797-1717

Twitter: @BCGovFireInfo

Facebook: BC Wildfire Service

YouTube: BCWS YouTube

Media contacts: click here

Find more contact info

bottom of page